Red bellied parrot for sale
Red bellied parrot for sale online
Scientific Name: Poicephalus rufiventris
Size: 8 to 9 inches
Native Region: Africa
Life Expectancy: 20+ years with proper care
Noise Level: Low
Talk/Trick Ability: Good talker, learns & makes sounds instinctively
Breeding in captivity:
- Red Belly parrots commonly breed at about 3 to 4 years of age. The Red Bellied like
most of the Poicephalus species breeds in our winter months and normally lay 4 eggs;
one every other day.
- Incubation is carried out by the hen and lasts for about 27 to 28 days dependent on the
- Incubation usually begins after the 2nd egg has been laid. I use a cockatiel size nest box
filled with soft wood shavings.
- Breeding Poicephalus Parrots in captivity presents several challenges and is, therefore,
best left to the more experienced breeders. These parrots are often nervous and may show
aggression towards their mates and other birds – particularly during the breeding
season. They tend to be erratic breeders.
- This being said, some pairs present few problems. Breeding successes and challenges are
likely linked to the level of experience of the breeder birds, their level of bonding and
compatibility, as well as their general health and contentment with respect to their
environment and care they are given.